Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Caramel Brownies



So I promised to let you know what I decided to do with my left-over caramel from Sunday.....I do not think Caramel Popcorn is worth using up my treat quota for the day, so I did not even try it...you know only use the treat allowance on something perfectly honorable and worthy.


Thus comes the Caramel Brownies!


The recipe is a very easy one, found in most every recipe book around...it is the one that you begin with a cake mix. My adaption, that really sent them over the top, is that I used my new homemade caramel. These Brownies could have even the toughest of chocoholics satisfied!


In fact after pulling them out of the oven and waiting for them to cool...I had the most perfect, rich one of all....and then suffered with a sugar overload headache for the rest of the night....growing a human can really mess you up! Well, because I apparently cannot hold my own with chocolate richness now that I am growing this sweet little human, I have not dared even look at the brownies again... and they sit in the refrigerator...lonely. Anyone care to come and take them off my hands?




Chocolate Caramel Brownies:


1 chocolate cake mix (I used german choc.)


2/3 c evaporated milk, divided


1/2 c melted butter


1 c chocolate chips


1 pkg caramels (milk maid brand...or homemade!)




Mix cake mix, melted butter and 1/3 c evaporated milk until crumbly (I had to add a bout 1/4 c extra flour...I used whole wheat pastry flour to help the dough not be as sticky) Press 1/2 of mixture in 9x13 pan and bake for 8 min. at 350 degree's. Meanwhile, combine caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk, melt and pour over baked crust. Top caramel portion with chocolate chips and remain dough return to oven and bake for an additional 18 to 20 min. Let cool and cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.