Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween Cookies!






















Here are the Halloween Cookies decorated...the cookies that I was baking on Sunday in the midst of the baking frenzy. I did a class on the royal icing technique that I use, and had to make a bunch of examples. I absolutely LOVE to decorate when there is no creative restraint! I was sitting up at 1 am detailing cookies and husband kept saying "Women...go to bed!" but I of course had to reply..."Hello! This is the fun part of all of this....the outlet, I do not want to sleep of all things!" I made the regular sugar cookie recipe, but then I also made "Martha's Chocolate Sugar Cookie Dough"....do not even ask Martha who. I will post the recipe because it is worth making. It makes a dough that does not spread or rise because of the lack of leavening product...the cookies are moist and deeply chocolate with a hint of Cinnamon. One note do not chill the dough as suggested unless you have biceps to spare...it is impossible to work with and not necessary. This I think makes a great contrast with the bright icing colors.






Martha's Chocolate Sugar Cookies:







3 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and cinnamon. Set mixture aside.
Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Add flour mixture; mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic. Chill at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp but not darkened. Cool on wire racks; decorate as desired

No comments: