Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oh My!


I have stumbled onto something wonderful....and dangerous:) This weekend I went to the library. I was so excited to see that they had gotten in so many new books...among them some of the baking books I have been hearing about and wanting to sink into. My favorite so far is called Modern Baker by:Nick Malgieri . It has a picture for almost every recipe. On Sunday I decided to try a caramel recipe it had listed with it's Caramel Bars. I didn't make the bars but made the caramel to go in my Oatmeal Caramel Bars that I already love. (see picture)

The caramel was amazingly good! I even made it with non-fat sweetened condensed milk because that is all that I had. Really...really this stuff is easy and good.

I have come up with a recipe that is to die for using this caramel that I will be posting later today...if baby agrees:) Just wait...

As for now here is the caramel recipe:

4 Tbs. butter

1/4 c dark brown sugar

1 Tbs. light corn syrup

1 can sweetened condensed milk

In saucepan bring all ingredients to a gentle boil, stirring often, until it starts to thicken and darken slightly..about 10 min. Pour into stainless steel bowl and let cool for 5 min. YUM

No comments: